Signs of a problem
Are you concerned about your drinking or drug use?
If you are affected by addiction, you can get the help you need and deserve.
It may be difficult recognising you have a problem and it's natural to feel distressed by this. By coming to our website you have taken an important and positive step towards your recovery. Remember that there are free and confidential services available to help you every step of the way.
How do I know if I have a problem?
You may suspect that your alcohol or drug use is affecting your life, but how do you know if it has become a problem?
If you aren’t sure whether you need to make a change, think about these questions:
- Do you feel like drinking or drugs have taken over other activities or commitments in your life?
- Do you spend more money on alcohol or drugs than you plan to?
- Have you been increasing your drinking or drug use over time?
- Do you find that you can’t stop drinking or using drugs once you have started?
- Do you use drinking or drugs to help escape problems or negative emotions?
- Do you miss important things because of your drinking or drug use?
- Do you feel guilt or remorse after drinking or taking drugs?
- Have you, or someone else, been hurt because of your alcohol or drug use?
- Has a relative, friend, doctor or other health care worker been concerned about your alcohol or drug use and suggested you cut down?
If you answered yes to one or more of these questions, it might be time to make a change.
The good news is that there is treatment and support available and we can assist you in every stage of making a change. You could try one of the following:
Assess where you are at
Complete an online self–assessment to understand where you are at and what to do next.
Our SMS messages help keep you on track. Sign up to one of our free programs to motivate, inspire you and give you tips when you need them.
Get support from peers
Our forum is a place to talk with people who share your experience. Find ways to cope and get inspired.
Chat with a counsellor
Do you need to talk? Chat with one of our professional counsellors. This service is free, confidential and available 24/7.
Email a counsellor
Do you have questions but not much time? Our counsellors are available by email to assess your situation and suggest options.