Chat live online with a professional counsellor, anywhere, anytime.
It can be really helpful chatting to a counsellor - speaking to an independent person about your problem can help you look at the situation objectively, particularly if you speak to someone skilled at helping you talk and trained in assessment.
The stigma associated with alcohol or drug problems might make it difficult to seek help, but speaking to a professional online can make that step feel less daunting.
- One of the great advantages of online counselling is how convenient and flexible it can be. You can start a session anywhere, at anytime, as long as you have a device that can connect to the internet.
- For many people it takes away barriers they may have in accessing services such as mobility, travelling and waiting lists. It’s also free, other than any data costs you may incur from your internet service provider.
- Our service is open to anyone affected by alcohol and other drugs, including people concerned about their own use, or, if you are concerned about a family member or friend. The service is secure and confidential.
- Text/typed conversation between two people can be misinterpreted, or, feelings may not be adequately expressed or explained. If you feel this is the case, seek clarification from the counsellor so you have mutual understanding.
- Speed of typing or getting out of sync. If you feel that you are out of sync with your counsellor let them know, ask them to summarise where you are up to and then slow down and take turns. Our counsellors are trained to do this as well.
- Online communication is not suitable in crisis situations. In a crisis, we recommend seeking other forms of support such as emergency services - 000, or telephone support.
How do I start a chat counselling session?
- Click on “Get Started’ at the bottom of the page.
- Choose between joining our community or starting a single access session.
- Read and accept the terms and conditions.
- Complete the basic information we need to begin a counselling session.
- A chat window will open and you can start chatting to your counsellor.
Why join Counselling Online?
- Membership gives you access to a range of services including chat sessions, self help modules and the peer to peer forum. All of these services are free.
- You won’t need to repeat your story each time you start a session.
- You can refer back to previous sessions for any helpful tips and referrals.
- It helps track your progress so that you can see how you are going.
So what’s stopping you? Start a chat session today.